Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Is this a text message scam? and what can i do about it?

I have been receiving texts from the same number for a long time. It's not blocked, is from a familiar and nearby area code, and when I reversed looked up online it was registered as a land line. The first time I received a text, I didn't respond but *67 called back and the name on the voicemail was the same as the name the caller left in his text. The texts are super mundane but definitely seem intended to incite a response. Very familiar talk, like he's a friend which obviously he isn't. The texts in the past month have been getting more and more frequent. I am sure this is some kind of scam (have received texts from Jamaica too which I never responded to but those were more obviously illegit) and I guess I have to call my provider to block the number but how do these scams work? What is the purpose? just curious. don't get it. totally irritated.Is this a text message scam? and what can i do about it?
It might not be a scam - it might be someone who has the wrong number. I kept getting calls and texts for a guy named Andre but it turns out that his friend had transposed a number when putting it in his phone and kept contacting me instead. When I sent a message back saying he had the wrong number and he wrote back saying "This isn't Andre's number" and I responded "I don't know anyone named Andre" he finally wrote back to say "sorry I must have the wrong number" and never heard from him again

No comments:

Post a Comment