Saturday, March 10, 2012

A question about my IP address please?

I have a wireless laptop. I have free networks from my neighbors. Every time I use a new network my IP address changes. Can someone trace down my IP address and know where I live? I looked up for my IP address on www.whatismyipaddress.com and I looked up for it and it said only the state and country and area code I'm in. Can the police still trace me? anyone ?



A question about my IP address please?
Yes if you download or message someone they can get your ipA question about my IP address please?
"Your" IP address is the same as the person's that you are borrowing from. Sites like that will show you the public address. Only one public address is given to a customer, usually, and it will change. When you tell your computer to connect to their network, you get a private address and your computer is visible on their network. If they have any kind of logging in place (many routers do) they would know your MAC address, which is a unique number that is specific to your laptop.



So if you did anything bad, then the police in theory could get a search warrant for the neighbors' houses and check the MAC addresses of all wireless equipment for a match. I've never heard of it happening but I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Why not offer your neighbor $10/month for permission to use the connection? Ok ,that's probably against their agreement with their internet provider but at least you would be covered. And don't do bad stuff with it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment