Saturday, February 25, 2012

I think I was scammed in the area code 809 thing... how much will this cost me?

I'm really scared, here... someone called, without leaving much info, and hung up. I called back, and hung up after I couldn't make out what they were saying. I looked up the number, and have found all this documentation saying that it is a scam, but no real way to see how much I'm going to be charged... help!!!I think I was scammed in the area code 809 thing... how much will this cost me?
You will find out when you get your phone bill.



I always google unknown numbers before I dial them. If it is a number I can't find any info on, I wait until they call me back.
Get caller ID on your telephone and never return a call if you don't recognize the telephone number or area code.I think I was scammed in the area code 809 thing... how much will this cost me?
Call your phone company and get the incident on record. They should also be able to tell you any pending charges against your account and stop unauthorized calls after you notify them.
First call your phone company and give them the approx. date and time of the call.



Tell them what happened and that you did not understand the meaning for the call. The company will look up the number and could be if you were not on long they may dismiss the charges.

Be sure to write the Day, Time and name of the representative you spoke to in-case the Phone-Company "Forgets" they spoke to you.



Be safe and send them a written notice as well. is way your covered three ways from Sunday.I think I was scammed in the area code 809 thing... how much will this cost me?
just call your phone company and repeort it along with the documentation if they want it if you ask them if they want it for there records and after you do I think this event will not happen again
Calling your phone comapny is the best bet and keep your fingers crossed that the call didn't end up costing too much
Take a look at this from AT%26amp;T:



About the 809 Area Code “Urban Legend”



Fraudsters have been distributing bogus e-mails through the Internet that are purported to come from AT%26amp;T. The topic: a phone scam involving the 809 area code. The scam itself is real, however, the e-mail and warning contain erroneous information. AT%26amp;T would like to set the record straight and separate fact from fiction.



The 809 area code scam first surfaced five years ago and continues to victimize consumers on occasion, although much less frequently than in the past. And there have been far more inquiries about it than consumers actually being victimized.



How the Scam Works:



In most cases a message is left on an answering machine or pager requesting the recipient call a number immediately for one of several reasons. The most common involves calling for information about a relative who has died, been arrested or injured. When consumers fall prey and call the number, the scam artist attempts to keep the caller on the line for as long as possible to increase the caller's long distance calling charges. The bogus e-mail claims the 809 area code sends calls to the British Virgin Islands, when in fact 809 is the country code for the Dominican Republic. The e-mail also warns consumers that dialing the 809 area code will result in charges of $2,400 per minute. That simply isn't true. The basic rate for a call to the Dominican Republic is less than $4 a minute although some 809 numbers terminate with pay-per-call services that permit the levy of additional fees. Since numbers located offshore are not subject to U.S. laws, there are no legal requirements that consumers be informed in advance of the extra charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment