Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What kind of legal rights do i have? Can i file a police report?

I ordered a book off of Ebay. DHL handled the shipping. They left me 1 post it on my door saying that had missed me and would try again the next day. I had come to find out that DHL had someone elses phone number on the package because i did not leave them one. DHL called this phone number and the person said that they were me and they gave DHL their address to deliver the package to instead of my address. Then this person signed for the package using my name. The signature looks nothing like mine and it is barely readable.



The DHL man who delivered the packaged has been back to the house but no one has been there, he asked a neighbor and i guess this neighbor said there was someone in that house with the same name as me.



My question is, would this be fraud or something? If for whatever reason this person really does have the same first and last name as me have they still done anything illegal?



It was a textbook for college so i don't even understand why they would sign for it, but i thought maybe it would be considered fraud, which i think is a federal offense, not sure though. I've been without it for over a week since classes started and i don't know whether to wait or go buy a new one because it's a $100 book.



DHL also gave me this persons phone number and address. I called them, but they did not pick up and i left a message. The really really strange thing is that I live in Northwest Indiana and this person is only about 45 minutes away from me. I looked up the area code online because i knew it was not a code from around here. Turns out it was a Pennsylvania code, so the whole situation just seems really fishy to me.



I'm mostly concerned with if i should file a police report or what legal route i should take if they do not get back to me.



thanksWhat kind of legal rights do i have? Can i file a police report?
Have the company it was shipped from file a claim with DHL. They are responsible for delivering to the right person a t the right address.
Contact the United States Postal Inspectors and see what their advise!What kind of legal rights do i have? Can i file a police report?
It would be fraud if they knowingly signed for a package that wasn't theirs.
It seems very unusual.



1. contact the seller to see why/how they put the wrong phone number on the bill

2. contact ebay, sometimes they can help

3. contact DHL customer service to see if you can get reimbursed.What kind of legal rights do i have? Can i file a police report?
No, make DHL take responsibility for it, and contact the police. Regardless of what DHL say to disuade you from doing this - they are insured and they mucked up. You didnt give a ph no. they got it from their records or somewhere- but they messed up. not you. You shouldn't have to be calling or chasing this book.

Call them, make them take responsibility, get the police involved so it can be investigated just in case you are a victim of identity theft.
it would be a misdemeanor. now if you have all your documentation you can go to the police. since dhl co operated so far they would help again.
that sounds like mail fraud. if you have all the info from DHL, I would file a police report.
Call DHL complaint or comment hotline and don't let this go. If this were the post office it would be a federal fraud.I'm not sure about DHL.



Find out the companies policies. They should NEVER leave a package at an address other than the one listed, even if they talked to someone on the phone.



You could probably try to prosecute whomever recieved ur package if you know who it is. DHL should be able to tell u the address it was finally delivered to. It's all up to their company policy.



This is why I only bid on items that ship USPS, and that's all I use too!!
I am not sure who you would file a police report against.



DHL accepted a package with an incorrect address (provided by you) and no phone number for delivery. When they could not locate the address, they found a phone number for a person with your name and called them.



DHL does not know what is in the package, only that they have a package for this person.



They called the other person and said "we have a package for you but the address is wrong" the other person gave an address. DHL delivered the package.



You left 1 messgae with this person claiming the package.



Can sound fishy all you want, however you have not shown any way where the other person took some deliberate action to intercept your package.
The legal jurisdictions are really tricky here, but I imagine the issue is a federal one. I would speak to an Assistant District Attorney as quickly as possible.
I have had the same problem with college text books how funny is that. I did call the cops. Over $300 worth of books. They were actually delivered to my old address. The cops went over there and told them to give them back. They said they had seen them, but had to find them. The next day I called the cop back, blah blah blah, but the cop called them and reinforced they needed to give them to me, so they set them on the curb that night for me to come pick up.
if it was me i would contact the dhl office get their address if the local office can not help then put it in writing and keep a copy anh send it to the main office you should get it sorted
I don't know if going after DHL is going to work. DHL is a German company that has recently halted all of their U.S. operations due to the downturn in the economy. I believe your best course of action will be to contact the person or company you bought it from via EBay and explain your predicament. Some of those vendors do a great volume of business and I'm sure they have run across this before.

There is a law that if something is delivered to your house that you didn't order, you have the right to keep it. However, if they called this person, as you say, and they gave them their address to deliver it, it constitutes fraud. You could go to an attorney. Most attorney's will give you a first office visit free to explain your situation to you and help you decide if it's worth pursuing. But if you do see a lawyer make sure you are not obligated to pay if he/she needs to do further research.

No comments:

Post a Comment