Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Is this a fake landlord? Am I being scammed?

Okay, so I saw a craigslist ad for a townhome for rent. I told my hubby about it and it was all good.

Then we visited and still thought nothing of it.

Then we noticed how much he expressed that he needed to do a credit check but needed US to get the credit report for him because according to him, they made a privacy act where he wouldn't be able to view it. Strange... because in our previous apartments, we didn't have to get anything.

We found that quite strange.

Then we looked at the application he gave us and it asked for not only our bank account number, but our CREDIT CARD NUMBER and the expiration date!

What in the world is going on here? I don't feel comfortable anymore.

He did show us the interior and exterior of the place so I don't know how in the world he got the keys.

Also, at first, he had a local number, but the second time he called, he called me from a different area code and I looked up the area code and it was from CANADA. :O

My gosh, I mean, maybe he's just helping someone out. Maybe he just doesn't now what he's doing. Maybe he's being extra careful but there is no way in the world I'm giving that man my credit card # and the expiration date.

He also cannot be found anywhere online when I googled both his phone numbers and his name. On the application it doesn't list a company, it merely lists his name and a fax number on the application. He didn't even seem to have a business card and didn't even express what he did for a living, or if he's rented out before, etc.

There was a brochure in the townhome he let us have that had a real estate lady's name and number on it.



(I saw another townhome in the same area but that one was better. The man actually had a business card, the company name was on the application, he knew real estate agents in the area, it was more of a better feeling for myself.)



This guy is from Canada apparently, I do not feel comfortable with him at all.

So I would probably be setting myself up for a scam if i pursue, correct?

"Duh"s are welcome lol.

I do plan on renting a townhome, but I'm not about to risk getting scammed. All I can do now is just keep trying to contact a real estate agent and see if this guy is legit. Even if she says he is, I don't think it's worth dealing with him anymore. Especially since I or my spouse, don't feel comfortable.

I did contact the real estate lady and she said that he was the owner of the home and said I was smart to call her. She also said to check tax records if I want to verify and said that people have called her before and asked her if it was a scam.

But it was strange that I called her more than once and she only returned my call when I left a message, claiming she just got out of church even though its like 9:20am and a lot of churches around here don't even start till around this time even 10 or 11 am. I just don't feel comfortble anymore.

If he is legit, then why does he need my credit card number? Why isn't his phone number on the application? and why can't he access my credit records on his own?

Ugh. :PIs this a fake landlord? Am I being scammed?
I would advice you not to deal with people you don't feel comfortable with. You've actually so much evidence already for not doing business with this person. Follow your feeling and drop him.
Yeah, you are being stalked by a con man.



He does not need your credit card numbers, and they do not appear on your credit reports.Is this a fake landlord? Am I being scammed?
RUN AWAY!!!! FAKE FAKE FAKE
RUNIs this a fake landlord? Am I being scammed?
scam
The main service at my church is at 11 AM on Sunday- but we also have a service at 8:15 AM that would be out about 9:15 AM. So that part of the story could be true.



I recommend that you rent from someone that you feel you can trust. Meet them face to face. A real estate company can run their own credit check unless they are so small that they are clueless. On that credit check you will need to enter a lot of private information.
Watch out - heard about this sort of thing - 20 people turned up at a flat they'd paid for - but none of them were legally entitled to rent! Huge scam becomming more popular...
  • gas mileage
  • spiderman the musical
  • textbook
  • subway application
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment